Job Title: Corrections LPN/Medical Assistant
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary Range: Depends on Qualifications/Experience
SUMMARY - To provide medical assistance to the physician/nurse practitioner/nurse in a professional manner and to provide for inmates in a caring, efficient and compassionate manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Receives and processes all new inmates.
· Maintain jail and inmate records during his/her shift.
· Fills out and delivers all disciplinary reports and grievances to the Corrections Corporal.
· Provides inmates with the basics to practice personal hygiene.
· Keeps in communication with all correctional officers throughout the jail.
· Observes patients for changes in physical and/or mental status or behavior and reports significant changes.
· Obtains specimens for laboratory testing as assigned.
· Takes vital signs including temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure.
· Administers medication and treatments in accordance with policies and procedures.
· Transcribes physicians' orders and records medication and patient's condition on patient's charts and other records.
· Receives and gives change of shift reports.
· Requests stock drugs, medications, and supplies as assigned.
· Administers CPR in emergency situations.
· Admits, transfers, and discharges patients.
· Gathers information about patient's past and current physical and mental status.
· May administer oral and parenteral medication as prescribed by the physician and documents procedure.
· Applies dressings, ointments, and other treatments as ordered and documents procedure.
· Assists physicians/nurse practitioner/corrections nurse with routine examinations and treatments.
· Any and all other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES - There are no supervisory responsibilities in this position.
QUALIFICATIONS/EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE – Minimum Qualifications:
· High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED);
· Licensed Practical Nurse diploma from an accredited school. Current Licensed Practical Nursing license.
· Maintains annual and continuing education credits; keeps license current at all times.
· Must have good working knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 Coding.
· BLS through the American Heart Association required.
· Must be able to maintain composure under difficult and stressful conditions.
· Must be able to maintain confidentiality and be able to work independently with little supervision.
· Displays tact and diplomacy in inter-personal skills.
· Keeps BLS Certification current at all times.
· To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
LANGUAGE SKILLS - Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to prisoners and other employees of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS - Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement.
REASONING ABILITY - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS - Valid Louisiana Motor Vehicle Operator's License; proof of residency (voter registration card); birth certificate (minimum age of 21 years); and Social Security Card.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or run. Must have the ability to lift and drag a minimum of 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - The Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
SUMMATION - Duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
This application form is intended for use in evaluating your BASIC qualifications for employment. Completing this form does not constitute an offer of employment and does not guarantee an offer of employment will be made nor does it constitute an employment contract. Answer all questions completely and accurately. Any intentional false or misleading statements made on this form or during any employment interview are grounds for terminating the application process or, if discovered after employment, terminating employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to sex, marital status, race, age, creed, national origin or the presence of disabilities. Individuals selected for further processing will be required to provide more detailed additional background and personal data. Additional testing of job-related skills may be required. Testing for the presence of drugs/alcohol in your body will be required prior to and during employment.
Starting with your most recent school attended, provide the following information. If this does not apply to you please input "N/A" into the required fields.
If this does not apply to you please input "N/A" into the required fields.
This is some text inside of a div bloIf this does not apply to you please input "N/A" into the required fields.ck.
Starting with your most recent employer, provide the following information. You may include any verified work performed on a volunteer basis.
I certify that the answers given by me to each and every one of the foregoing questions are complete and true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that any false information, omissions or misrepresentations of facts in this application may result in rejection of my application or, if I am eventually selected for employment, subject me to immediate discharge. I authorize the Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office, including consumer reporting bureaus, to conduct a background investigation and verify any of this information. I authorize all former employers, neighbors, co-workers, associates, family members, friends, schools, companies and law enforcement authorities to release any information concerning my background. I hereby release any such person, schools, companies and law enforcement authorities from any liability for any damage whatsoever for complying with requests for information in connection with this employment application. I also understand that the use of illegal drugs is prohibited during employment with the Washington Parish Sheriff’s Office. In connection with this application, I am willing to submit to drug testing to detect the use of alcohol or illegal drugs and submit to a polygraph test. If I am selected for employment, I am willing to submit to drug testing to detect the use of illegal drugs and alcohol at anytime during my employment.
DO NOT SIGN UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE ABOVE APPLICANT STATEMENT. I certify that I have read, fully understand and accept all terms of the foregoing Applicant Statement.